Monday, April 1, 2013

THE REAL MEANING OF EASTER

It's important to me that my kids understand the real meaning of Easter but I don't want to take away the fun of the Easter Bunny and Easter egg hunts like some parents do in order to accomplish it. I knew I would have to work hard at teaching them about the atonement, crucifixion and resurrection of our Savior Jesus Christ--even at their young age (in ways they could absorb) if I was going to make a dent in their understanding. So, several different times in the last couple of weeks we talked about why we have Easter. Each time, I explained that the Easter Bunny, Easter Egg hunts and getting candy are just things we do for fun to celebrate the holiday, but there is a much more meaningful side to Easter. Then we would talk about our Savior and what he did for us and how important it is in our lives. We even talked about it Saturday night before we went to sleep, and then this (Sunday) morning before we went to church we showed Carly and Jono a short movie on Christ's death and resurrection so they could not just hear but see what we had been talking about. Then we went to church and they had a Sunday School lesson about it as well.

So, when we came home from church I asked Carly what Easter was all about. She said, "I don't know."
I said, "Yes you do." Silence.
Me: "Carly, what is Easter about?"
Carly: "I don't know."
Me: "We have been talking about it for a couple of weeks. I know you know. Didn't you just learn about it in class?"
Carly: (Shoulder Shrug)
Me: "Well, you can't have any candy until you can tell me the true meaning of Easter." (I know, I am a mean Mom.)
Carly: "JESUS."
 Me: "Jesus what?"
Carly: "Jesus was in a tube for 3 weeks and then he came alive again"
Me: "Close enough. Get your candy."

Don't worry--I did make sure she understood it wasn't a "Tube" and that He wasn't in there for 3 weeks. But I knew she wasn't going to really pay attention until she had her candy! Lol! One thing is for certain--Art Linkletter was right; kids say the darndest things!

Here are some pics of my cute munchkins in their Easter outfits:


Good Morning! Happy Easter!
Carly and Jono

Carly and Jonathon in their best Easter outfits
After Sunday School with their friend Ellie

No comments: