Thursday, October 27, 2011

SLOW GOING?

I just read this quote that made me feel so much better and then it HIT me! If this made me feel better, it will probably cheer you up too Dad! So, this one's for you: "NO MATTER HOW SLOW YOU GO, YOU ARE STILL LAPPING EVERYBODY ON THE COUCH!" Isn't that a great quote? Seriously, it makes me want to get up and get on my treadmill for a few minutes right now. Sometimes, I get discouraged either because I can't find a moment in my crazy day to squeeze in time to exercise (other than chasing my darling little rugrats) or because I simply don't feel good enough to that day. And then, I hear something like this and it reminds me of when I first started exercising (somewhere in my thirties, I believe). Before that, I had always claimed I was allergic to exercise. I didn't just decide to start exercising one day. I learned I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and my doctor suggested I try walking twenty minutes a day. (What an doofus!) At the time, I had it so bad that the exercise exacerbated it. I didn't realize that would happen--and to be fair neither did he. One day, when I took a twenty minute walk I ended up so ill the friend I was with had to walk home, get her car and come back and drive me home. That's when I bought a treadmill. If I was going to walk--I was not going to leave my house! I learned I had to fight my fatigue--HARD to do any exercise at all. Some days I lost the battle completely. Other days I would walk for only a minute or two but I decided not to look at those moments as failure. Those were SUCCESSES! No matter how much or how little I moved my body--I moved it! Yay for me! I still feel that way--I just have to be reminded some times. My Dad has spent his entire life being conscious of how his body moved. Now, it is difficult and painful to move his body but he exercises--on purpose. He has me get him on my treadmill--and I know he is sometimes disappointed and discouraged with how fast or slow he thinks he is going. When he is not on the treadmill he walks in the basement with weights on his wrists or rides his exercise bike. He is doing everything he can to keep his body moving. Dad, I know you hurt and I am so sorry you are in pain. I wish with all my heart I could make that better. You have always set an amazing example for me and are still doing it. And I have news for you--"NO MATTER HOW SLOW YOU GO, YOU ARE STILL LAPPING EVERYBODY ON THE COUCH!" So, keep it up--and I will too! I love you.

No comments: