Wednesday, February 20, 2013

THE POWER OF COLOR

I got the most thoughtful gift in the mail the other day. I opened it to find a package of multicultural crayons. I had never heard of such a thing before, but it is a package of eight Crayola Crayons that look almost identical to the picture I posted last week with the crayons that all said "flesh" for color on them. But the ones I received have all the colors/shades of people's skin throughout the world--or at least as close as possible.

In our crayon box, as children, there was a peachy-yellowish color labeled crayon labeled "flesh" - and I realize now that no one took into consideration that, that it only represented one race and at that, not very well. I haven't looked lately, but hopefully, that color of crayon is no longer labeled "flesh". Hopefully it is just some sort of peachy yellow.

My friend Joyce who sent me the crayons is a beautiful artist and loves color. She loves it so much she collects crayons and I know these unusual ones have been an important part of her collection. However, she sensed a need and sent them my direction. It seems something small but it is such a perfect tool for teaching children who are asking about the differences between the color of their skin and other's. How exactly to talk to them, teach them and answer their questions as they come up has been on my mind and heart and a matter of prayer. As I read Joyce's letter and looked at the Crayon's I knew a prayer had been answered. The next time one of my little one's has a question about skin color it will be much easier to answer their because I will be able to show them the answer. We will be able to draw it out, to color it together. It will be vivid and they will not only be able to hear the answer but see it and remember it.

Thank you Joyce for sharing your beautiful colors with us at such and important developmental stage. I believe it will make a huge difference in the way we learn together about how beautiful our colors are and how well they go together. We love you ~ thank you again for being so unselfish. 

No comments: