Monday, February 4, 2013

DREAM CATCHER'S RULE!

Carly started having nightmares a month or more ago--not every night at first, just every once in awhile. When they started, they were about some creature we could trace directly back to Scooby Dooby Doo, her favorite cartoon at the time. That was easy enough to solve; no more Scooby Dooby Doo for awhile. The nightmares stopped for a bit--but unfortunately, they resurfaced again a week or so later in some other form.

The next few weeks were rough. Often I would hear Carly wake up crying or she would come wake me up and climb in bed with me. She got really fearful of going to bed--even for nap time. I did not have the slightest idea what I was going to do.  I had tried everything I could think of to help her feel better about going to bed and sleeping. We would say prayers together. I would turn on her extra lamp and let her sleep with it on. We cleaned her room really well so nothing was out of place to look shadowy or scary in the dark. I had tried making a bottle of monster spray once but the kid's didn't buy into at all so I figured "bad dream" spray wasn't going to cut it either. So, I didn't even go there.

Then early last week, I remembered an old Indian tradition a Navajo friend taught me about called
"Dream Catchers." They are beautiful hanging web-like designs with feathers that are meant to hang in your bedroom and catch any bad dreams you may have. So, I immediately got online and found some really nice handmade ones on Etsy.com and ordered them. They came on Friday and I told the kids about the tradition and then we hung them from the ceiling in each of their bedrooms. Believe it or not, we haven't had a single nightmare in the house since! Oh, the power of the mind er, Dream Catcher!

Night all, Sweet Dreams! Lol!

Jono with his dream catcher

Carly happy with her new dream catcher!

No comments: