Thursday, July 5, 2012

YAY FOR BIG!

I think Grandpa had a pretty good birthday today. He spoke with lots of his friends who called to tell him they were thinking of him. I know that means a lot to him.

We low-keyed it -- though not purposefully. We probably would have done more for his birthday but I woke up to two very sick kids. my kids were sick. Jonathon's fever was over 100 all day and finally spiked at 102.5 had a fever over a hundred all day. It finally spiked to 102.5. I took both him and Carly to the doctor so that took a good chunk of time.

We ordered dinner out and brought it home. All of us were just wasted.  We took gifts down for Grandpa to open after dinner but I wouldn't let him open the last one until he got up and walked for me. You see, I kept hearing these stories from Rob, Mom and Julie about how amazingly Grandpa was walking! They kept telling me things like, "He just stands right up, doesn't even have trouble getting up. Then he takes off . . ."

That sounded pretty foreign to me because we have been having to help Grandpa stand up, get him his walker and stay pretty close to him while he walks. (See why I was a little skeptical?) Actually, I wasn't. I just wanted to see the miracle for myself! He has only worked with this new physical therapist twice on this program called BIG and it is amazing. I did tell him he had to get up and go get his last present from Julie, who was standing in his doorway or he couldn't have it. He just got up and walked across the room and back for me, not hunched over at all--and without any help. WOW! Almost enough to make a daughter cry!

I love my Dad so much! It makes me so happy to see him able to move better -- because I know he will be able to do more and that will make him feel better and be happier. Yay for BIG! Yay for DAD! Yay! Yay! Yay!

Happy Birthday Dad! I really do love you. Oh, and while you're up, could you vacuum the downstairs floors? (KIDDING!)


No comments: