Saturday, June 4, 2011

BECAUSE . . .

Today, Julie and I went shopping and were brave enough to take the the little tykes with us. I had a really cute moment with Carly when a couple of women passed by us in a store. They were having their own conversation that had nothing to do with us. They were talking about buying something for someone and somehow Carly decided their conversation was about her.

As soon as they passed us Carly asked me what they were getting her. I told her they weren't talking about her. She assured me I was wrong, that they were talking about her. We went back and forth on the matter for some minutes. Finally, I said; "Carly, they don't even know you. Why would they buy you something?" She let me know she was sure they did know her. Again, I tried to reason with her. "Carly, why would those women be buying you something when they don't even know who you are? Then came the answer I should have expected all along. "Because I'm Carly, Mom!" Lol! That's my girl!

Now in all seriousness, I think she really thought they knew her and were talking about getting her something. Her three year old brain seems to work that way. But what really made me smile and made my heart happy is to realize my little girl has such a positive self image. I know, I know -- it's a hop, skip and jump from there to spoiled brat. We are really trying to raise happy, independent, kind, loving, intelligent, and good children. I'm certainly no fan of spoiled brats and I sure don't intend to create and send any out into the world. It is just so important to me that my kids feel good about who they are and what they are capable of contributing in this world.

Well, that's deeper than I planned to go. I'm just a happy Mom tonight with a self-assured little girl. :) Hope you have a lovely weekend!

No comments: