Sunday, January 9, 2011

PROUD, FOX-Y MAMA!

Julie called today from somewhere near the Magic Kingdom where she has gone with her high school debate team to participate in a large multiple high school debate. She and her partner were entered in three categories and felt they had not placed in two of them but had a slight chance in the third. They were waiting for the judges to announce the winners when she called. Those who won would go on to Semi-finals.

She was so excited when she was telling me about the category she felt they had a chance in because it was one where the judges gave the topic and they only had a couple of minutes to come up with their arguments. Their topic ended up being the Wiki leaks fiasco and Julian Assange. They had to defend him. It turned out that Julie knew all the details about him and this case. Her partner had not heard much about it but knew most of the legal terms and law that would apply to the case. So, together they made a very strong argument.

The hilarious thing to me about this is that my kids and my husband do not at all enjoy the fact that I LOVE WATCHING THE NEWS! I could watch FOX NEWS all day (and sometimes do! I do switch it up sometimes to get other points of view but I really like to know what is going on in the world. It drives them nuts! (I got this legitimately from my parents.)

One day, when I was watching the news and it was driving Julie nuts I told her it would serve her well to stop complaining and start listening to the news since she was now in debate. I guess she listened because when I asked her how she knew about the Wiki leaks case she sheepishly said: "Listening to FOX News." I giggled loudly and said: "I'm so happy right now! Oh, and I'm proud of you too sweety!" Lol! There aren't a ton of pay days in the teenage years, but ain't it great when you get one! Yay!
Oh, she did win at the Semi-finals but lost the next round! Still, did so, so, great! So proud of my girl!

No comments: