Saturday, December 12, 2009

WHAT'S A MOM TO DO?

I can't remember if I've told you this before or not. If I have, oh well. Carly can't stand to have anyone close a door on her--especially a bathroom door. She will stand outside the door and pound on it and plead to be let in. She will cry and whine and try the door and give you absolutely no peace until you come out or give in and allow her to come in.

I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother to close our bathroom door anymore. Of course, our bathroom is in our bedroom so it's a little bit protected from the rest of the house. But, I don't close the door very often because even if she doesn't see me leave to go the bathroom she seems to have a sixth sense about it and shows up not long after I go in. Of course, when I did use to close the door, she would always wait to show up until I was seated and then bang and scream for what seemed like an eternity. Her timing was so frustrating it just wasn't worth it.

She has a brand new thing now. She learned the word "up" some time ago for when she wanted help climbing up the stairs or wanted you to pick her up. Grandma has taught her to add the word please to that. So, now her favorite phrase is "Up peas". She used to come straight in to the bathroom and pat my bum when I was sitting and say "Mommy's bum" and just laugh. Now she comes in immediately turns her back to me and backs up and says "Up peas. I say "No, not up peas. Mommy busy." She repeats, "Up peas" with more urgency and we go back and forth until one of us gives up or gives in. (Guess who wins most of the time? :}, Yah, not me. lol!)

Well, I just learned from others in the house (who don't and really can't leave the bathroom door open for matters of decorum) that Carly has learned to open the childproof locks on the doors and just walk right in. In fact, she has surprised them right in the middle of their bathroom breaks! "Up Peas!" Lol!

I say this is crazy! She is not even two years old yet. Why can she outwit a child proof door lock? What age child was this lock made to proof? Surely it was supposed to last for more than their first year. Holy crap. We are in trouble. I mean, yah, we can start locking the bathroom doors from the inside when we are using them. No problem. But what do we do about all the sharp things and cleaning poisons, etc. these child proof locks are supposed to keep them away from? Her little hands are not supposed to be able to manuever these things. Carly is not only smart; she is strong.

Wow, do we have our work cut out for us! I am sitting here patting my head. "Work Mommy brain, Work"

No comments: