Friday, October 12, 2012

PLAYGROUNDS, TREASURES AND GRANDMA

I took some pictures at playgroup this week. The kids were fascinated with a new tree that had been planted near the playground. They practically ignored the really nice playground equipment for much of the time we were there to huddle around this new tree and dig in the dirt. Another mom and I went over  to take pictures and overheard their conversations. They were so funny. They were talking to each other about hoping to find treasure in the dirt. They had little pieces of wood they had found and were digging around in it and scooping with their hands and were so serious.

Honestly, it reminded me of being young and staying at my Grandma's house. We thought her upstairs was much like the dirt around that tree--a giant treasure hunt! She had a storage room up there that we dug through nearly every visit searching for treasures. I actually remember finding a few, too. Let's see . . .  my mom's report cards, letter's from my mom to her mom with questions about how to care for her new baby (Susan), receipts for my mom's birth (she was the only one of my Grandm's children born in a hospital.) Anyway, you can see with our record for finding treasures that we couldn't quit--and we felt it our solemn duty to let Grandma know what she had up there. Lol! I think of it now and realize we must have driven her absolutely nuts! BUT, you know--she never let on. She would just act excited that we found something. I sure love her--and miss her!

Back to the playground--these kids play together so well and they had such fun. It was such a joy to watch them playing and digging for treasures. They did eventually wander back to the playground equipment and climb around on it and play. What I will remember most about this playdate, though, is their united effort to find treasure in the simplest of all childhood pleasures--the dirt!
 
Treasure Hunt Tree-Time
Carly is standing (facing you) and Jono is in the yellow shirt
and red pants digging.

Teamwork and treasure hunting.
Break-time for Ruthie and Jono 


Back to the playground--oh yah, and prison unless
you give Ruthie and her friend all your treasure!

No comments: