Friday, August 31, 2012

MY TELEPHONE NUMBER IS OLIVER 3 . . .

When I was a little girl my parents taught us our phone number by putting it to music. By music, I mean they taught us to sing it. I guess we were having trouble learning it until they put a catchy tune to it and once they did that we were able to easily remember it. To this day I know that tune. Of course, it was back in the day when phones had exchanges and our exchange was "Oliver". That may mean anything to some people but it stands for the O and L or the 6 and 5 on the phone dial/punch pad. At least I think that's the correct interpretation.

Today, in my little two student pre-school we took on the telephone number. Let me just say that I understand why my parents resorted to adding a tune to it. I was prepared to have them learn it with a tune but wanted to see how they would do without it, first. The difference was remarkable--and almost immediate. I think it will only be a day or two until they have their phone number memorized. Had I tried to have them memorize it without music I know we would have been at it for much longer.

There is much wisdom in learning from the lessons of others and not trying to re-create wheels on our own. The other thing that struck me is how much music makes a difference in our lives. My children have always gone to sleep to music. It calms and soothes them. Now it teaches them.

I have loved music in many forms~~but in the simplest tune my parents taught me as a child I was given the security and safety of knowing I could call always call home if I needed to. Thank you Dad and Mom, I love you.

No comments: