Tuesday, February 21, 2012

WE LOVE YOU LOUISE

My Aunt Louise (my Mom's oldest sister) passed away very early this morning. She's been very ill for awhile now so it wasn't unexpected. Somehow still, we are never quite prepared to lose the ones we love.

I had a feeling last night as I was putting Carly to bed that we were going to lose Louise in the night. Carly picked up one of her little dolls and asked what her name was and I told her she hadn't given her one yet. I suggested she give her a name but she couldn't think of any. So off the top of my head I said, "Why don't you name her Louisa?" I don't know why I came up with that. It was unusual but it reminded me of the writer of Little Women, Louisa May Alcott as I said it. Carly apparently didn't like it because she immediately said, "No, let's name her "Louise." I said, "O.K." but as I did the thought and a feeling hit me that we were going to lose Louise tonight. Have you ever had something like that happen before? It wasn't eerie or unsettling. We'd been told a few days before that she might not make it through the week--so it wasn't prophetic. It was just a calm sense of knowing--and it was peaceful.

It's experiences like that that make it easier to let our loved ones go. I know there was great rejoicing on the other side today. Great reunions happened there that have been awaited for a long time and it makes me smile to know that even as we sorrow in our loss~somewhere there is great joy and rejoicing that one so loved has found her way home. We will miss you Louise. We love you.

No comments: