Monday, June 15, 2009

HIKING IN THE HEAT

I just signed a permission slip for Julie to go hiking up a canyon tomorrow with her young women's group. They are leaving at ten in the morning and won't be back until sometime in the late afternoon. It just hit me that the worst part of the day to be in the heat is from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. and I'm sure hoping these guys know what they are doing. Of course, when someone says hike to me, I walk in the opposite direction looking for the elevator. I'm not much of an outdoors person. I actually like the outdoors but I don't like enjoy doing anything rugged in the outdoors. I'm fine just to sit by the waterfall or the stream and kick my feet in. I don't need to hike 5 or 10 miles to feel like I've communed with nature. Nature and I can talk just fine sitting still.

I guess it's a good thing it's a youth hike and some youthful leaders taking them. You'd never find me leading a hike in the heat, let alone going on one by myself! Oh well, it takes all kinds, I guess.

No comments: