Sunday, June 14, 2009

CARTOONS AND TIME WITH DAD . . .

You never could have convinced me I would be spending a good part my day each day watching cartoons at my age--but I'm actually starting to get used to it. Luckily, I had a little practice when my brother-in-law injured his back a couple of years ago and moved in with us for several months and often had his little kids over. There are some really good teaching/learning cartoons on these days and Carly loves to watch them.

I got to thinking today about when I was a little kid and some of the fond memories I have of watching cartoons with my Dad. I even have what I think are memories of some of his favorites. I think he really likes the one with Foghorn Leghorn in it and Tom and Jerry. But then as I was thinking about that I had the silliest thought come over me. Oh my goodness, he wasn't watching cartoons with us because he liked watching cartoons with us. He was doing the same thing I'm doing. He was trying to keep us busy and happy and was probably trying to do something else at the same time. (Well, maybe not the latter. Men aren't the best multi-taskers, you know.) Honestly, the thought had never occurred to me until I was actually doing it myself why he watched cartoons with us. I just remember being happy when he did. Kind of funny, eh?

I think I will just sit back and try to enjoy cartoons with Carly more and not try to multi-task so much. She is growing up so fast and I don't want to miss a moment. I'm so grateful for the insights that sometimes come to me in time to make a difference.

No comments: