Saturday, April 12, 2008

Smile for Me Baby

I've been bragging to my family and friends this past week that D5 has started to really smile. You know, the kind of smiles you can't pass off as baby gas. You talk to her and smile and laugh and she smiles back really big. So, today when my little sister asked about her I told her how cute it was when D5 would smile like that. She was excited and asked if I would send her a recent photo. So, proud Momma that I am, I pulled out my cell phone and proceeded to try to make D5 smile so I could take a photo and text it to my sister. Everytime I tried to make her smile she would look at me with this sad face and pull out her bucket lip and start to cry. I couldn't believe it. Finally, I realized she wanted a bottle--so I gave up on the smile for a bit and fed her, changed her diaper and then just as I was ready to try again she fell sound asleep. Not to be easily put off--I waited through her nap and then tried again. Still, no smile. At best, I would get a yawn or a ho-hum--"Don't you have anything better to do than that, Mom" look?" Time after time I'd take a picture only to delete it a few seconds later because it wasn't the smile I was hoping for. Finally, I gave up.

A few hours later. Hubby (that would be Daddy) comes in and picks her up and just starts talking to her--and what do you suppose happened? That's right. Big smiles--all over her face. Do you think I could catch them with my camera phone? Not so much--and not because I didn't try. I was in such a rush to capture them that the three I took in a row were so shaky they weren't worth keeping. I have a sneaky suspicion this little one is going to be a Daddy's girl. Hmmm.

No comments: