Sunday, April 20, 2008

Chocolate Makes Me Happy

My t-shirt in life says "Give me chocolate and no one gets hurt!" Actually, I don't have a shirt like that but I should have one. I am a serious choc-o-holic! I've been especially bad lately. I've been so bad I've even rub off on Rob (formerly known as hubby.) What's funny is I actually caught him eating a piece of dark chocolate this morning which surprised me because he hates dark chocolate. We had bought one of those mixed bags of chocolate and all we had left was the dark chocolate which everyone always leaves for me. Anyway, I said, "Are you eating dark chocolate? And he said, "Yes, I'm desperate!" I knew he really was desperate to be eating that. He never touches the stuff. So, tonight after dinner I made some Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I have a really good Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. I actually got it years ago from my cousin Sheila. But, I did find it again years later in a really old recipe book called "The Best Recipes of 1934." I thought you might like to have the recipe. It's best if you make it by hand. I usually substitute Crisco butter-flavored shortening for the butter and shortening. Other than that everything else is the same. Here goes.

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

2/3 Cup Shortening
2/3 Cup Butter
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 12-ounce package Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream shortening, butter, sugars, eggs, salt, soda and vanilla together. Add flour 1 cup at a time. You may not need all the flour--usually 2 1/2 - 3 cups is needed. Work flour in until the dough feels right. Add chocolate chips and roll into balls and flatten. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until light brown.

Enjoy

No comments: