Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Funny Things

I have to admit that having a baby at my age sometimes brings remarks from others you don't expect or like. Mind you, I'm not even out of my forties--but every once in a while some stranger will ask me if my new baby is my grandchild or if I am her grandmother? I hate that. It always catches me off guard and I never know what to say. I mean, I always say "no." But I never have the quick, clever, smart reply at the moment it happens that will keep them from doing it to the next person who happens to have a child when they are just a few years older than normal.

I'm a little bit used to it because I used to babysit quite a bit for one of my friends and I would get the same thing from people when I was with her kids. I mean c'mon I was only in my early forties at the time. I know people are becoming grandparents early these days--but I really didn't look that old! It used to really hurt my feelings--mostly because I wanted to be a mom so bad and hadn't had the chance yet. It would make me cry any time it happened.

Well, yesterday I was watching a nephew and niece while their parents did some errands. The nephew who is about four kept having Rob change out some sing-a-long videos they were watching. One of them ended and Rob was busy so I told him I'd change it. When I came over to do it - my nephew didn't seem to want me to change it. He said "No, no you don't do it,"--then he pointed to where Rob was and said; "go get your father--he'll do it."

Needless to say--that made up for several of the "Grandma" comments--though for some odd reason--Rob didn't find it very funny . . .

1 comment:

SuperCoolMom said...

Hi Nancy - I'm one of Natalie's blogfriends. I just had to come see your sweet baby! She is precious! Congratulations!

My 6th just turned 1 and I had her when I was 40 - I haven't heard Grandma yet, although when our oldest (18) is with us, people often think she belongs to him. The really funny thing is how many people asked me if it was my first when I was pregnant with her! I had to assume that was their polite way of asking how many this would make for me :)