Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I GOT ME A BACK UP BAND!

You know, it's a not so subtle irony that I want my little girl to be able to read music and play the piano because I never learned to--and it really never occurred to me that I might need to know how to read music or at least understand something about it to help her understand what she needs to practice each week after her lessons. (Yes, I know that was the longest sentence ever written but I'm too tired to fix it. Lol.)

Last week after Carly's first lesson, when her teacher was explaining her assignment to me so I could help her practice I felt like I was back in 9th grade chemistry class. I never understood chemistry. It was worse than reading a map or sewing instructions! Don't get me started! Unfortunately, I don't have a decoder in my brain for those things--and I've learned to compensate.

However, in school when I had no choice but to try or to fake it--I sometimes sat and let the tears roll down my face--not quite as dramatically as my five year old. But I'm sure I felt just as helpless then as she does sometimes when she doesn't understand something and has a meltdown. At any rate, when her teacher was explaining her practice instructions to me I was immediately beamed back to one of those moments! Gah! What was I going to do?! I had a momentary panic and then I remembered that Rob knew how to read music and I could have him help her.

I tried having her work on her own when we first got home but she didn't remember a whole lot. So, when Rob came home he sat down at the piano and helped her and was so patient and loving with her. It made me so happy. I was so worried I'd gotten in over my head. Then, last night as I was going to bed, I remembered that my mom played the saxaphone in high school! That means she can read music too! I have a backup BAND! She claims she does not remember much! But hey, Carly is a beginner--so I don't need much! Ha! Yippee! I am not alone! All is well!

No comments: