Tuesday, September 4, 2012

THE TERRIBLE THREES? REALLY? NOOOOOO!!!

My little boy almost gave me a heart attack today! I took him to his soccer game and Carly and I were camped out on our blanket watching him practice with his team when she saw a little girl who looked a lot like her on the next field. It was less than 75 feet away and Carly wanted to go meet her. I mean, the little girl was her size, had similar braids, was brown like her and cute as a button. Carly really wanted to make a new friend. I looked to make sure Jono was practicing with his team and he was--so we walked over and said "Hello" and were making small talk. Carly mentioned her little brother and the little girl's family wanted to see him. I told them he was playing and turned around to point to where he was -- and he was GONE!! We had been over there less than 2 or 3 minutes.

I scanned the fields as fast as I could. There are a dozen or more of them and all of the little kids teams are in similar uniforms. I couldn't see him anywhere. I yelled to his coach and asked where he was. His coach looked at me with a blank expression and told me he had just been there a second ago. At that point I asked someone to watch Carly and started to run. I headed toward the playground area near where we parked figuring that was the most likely spot he'd go to. Other parents started helping me and one father thought he spotted him near the playground and asked me if I wanted him to run ahead of me and grab him. I told him to go ahead. So, he ran really fast and sure enough it was Jonathon. What a relief! I ran and caught up and grabbed that little guy and hugged him really tight and asked him why he left. He was beyond the playground when the dad caught up with him so I knew he wasn't going to play. He told me "I thought you over here, Mommy. I thought you left." Oh my gosh, I got teary. Then he got teary. I had to explain to him that I would never leave him there like that--which is hard to believe little ones don't know already--but they don't.

So, we went back and he played for awhile. I sat on the sidelines and watched -- only to have his coach yell to me at one point when I wasn't looking his way--"Nancy, I think Jonathon's headed for the playground." OH MY GOODNESS! No, the game wasn't over yet! I guess he thought he needed a bwake! I got up and ran--only to stop and SMILE huge when I saw that I could stop running because his Father, who was coming to the game late because of work, had corralled him. Yep, on his way to the playground, he had run smack-dab into Daddy! Lol! Gotta love it! He won't do that again. At least not for awhile. He quickly hurried back to the game to finish playing. That was the lesser of two evils--play soccer in the heat or deal with mad Dad. Hahaha!I think that was my favorite part of the day--watching him accidentally run headlong into Dad. Sometimes--when they misbehave -- there is a punchline! I'm just sayin'! :)

No comments: