Wednesday, May 12, 2010

SOMETIMES IT'S BETTER TO WATCH THAN LISTEN

Jonathon actually said "mom" today. I didn't capitalize it because it was just a sound Megan coaxed him into saying. He has no idea it means me. But it was fun to hear him say it. He's been saying Da' Da' for several weeks now and I think he's beginning to get the idea that it means Rob. It's fun to watch those associations start to take place.

I let Carly have her friend Isaac over today to play. I was busy feeding and taking care of Jonathon so I had them play in her room. I wasn't more than 15 steps away from the room so I could pretty well hear what was going on. Every few minutes I would stick my head in to make sure they weren't destroying the universe or killing anything living. The first time I stuck my head in they were each standing opposite ends of Carly's bed. Issac was on the headboard frame and Carly was on the foot board frame getting ready to jump into the center of the mattress so they could jump up and down on the bed. This is a two and three year old. How do they learn these things?! Anyway, I told them "NO", got them down and got them busy playing with toys again. Then I went back to feeding Jonathon.

A few minutes later I noticed something strange. It was too quiet. They were't making any noise. I went to investigate. They had removed one of her small drawers of hair clips and barrettes and were playing with them in not so hair-friendly ways. They had already been forbidden to touch these drawers on more than one occasion (especially Carly) and were even told today right when they went in the room to play not to touch them. Plus, the last time Issac visited, Carly and another friend, a girl, put lots of the pretty clips all through his hair. It was surprising, yet adorable when we opened the door and found him looking so pretty. :)  But I digress. I took these away from them; put them back in drawer and reminded them not to touch them. I then drew their attention back to the toys and I went back to Jonathon.

So Dad and I are both in the living room with Jonathon when the next thing happens. I hear a funny sound. It's a shhh-shing sound. I hear it three times coming from Carly's room. I think--"Are they sophisticated enough to make that sound with their mouths?" (Silly mommy. I am slow on the uptake today.) Of course not! I put Jonathon down and run toward Carly's room. I get there just in time to see Carly with an almost empty can of Coppertone Water Babies (Aerosol spray sunscreen for kids) which had been almost full aimed directly at Big Tom, her huge white Teddy Bear and her Giant Raggedy Ann. Some of the sunscreen had run down into her hand when she sprayed it and she looked up at me and said "Mom, sticky." Yah, so let's suffice it to say that Big Tom and Raggedy Ann can go hang out at the pool all summer long if they want and won't get sunburned any time soon.

As for Mom, she's getting a time-out. Lol!

No comments: