Thursday, March 6, 2008

I Repent!

This is one of those things you don't know you don't know until you know. But you know, I'm really sorry for all the times I've been somewhere and have seen a new mother with a new baby and wondered to myself why that new mother didn't bother to do her hair make-up that morning. Holy crap Batman! I get it--and I'm so, so, so sorry for ever questioning any of you or your intentions. Instead, whether I knew you or not, I should have come running over to you and offered to sit for an hour or two while you caught up on sleep. I should have offered to run errands for you, make up bottles, rub your tired shoulders, clean your house, make you dinner. I'm so sorry. I didn't understand.

All my clumsy, idiot, obviously "not thinking" brain thought was "I wonder why she's stopped keeping herself up? Doesn't she care anymore?" What a dunderhead I was! I really apologize to all of you mothers out there. I didn't even realize I was doing it. Isn't experience a great teacher. It's so good to go through things yourself and see the other side. To be honest, I couldn't have answered the door before noon today or I would have frightened someone right off the porch. It's true! A baby not only changes your routine--he or she changes your vanity level. You suddenly care more about someone else's needs than you do about anything else--even how you appear. (Now mind you - I didn't leave the house or answer the door looking that way--nor would I!)

Anyway--back to my point. I repent for being so judgmental. It was just plain dumb. Now I find myself in the same shoes and I really understand. I simply don't have the hours in the day to do everything I used to do. Nor do I have the arms to do everything I need to do at once. So, please forgive my lack of understanding. In other words, I understand now because I resemble that--and I'm really, really sorry.

No comments: