Tuesday, November 3, 2009

GOING POTTY WITH CARLY

So, as the mother of a toddler I have gotten used to the fact that I am no longer allowed to go potty alone. If I try, she stands at the door, bangs on it and has a meltdown. Today, I took Grandpa and Grandma to Salt Lake for an appointment. While Carly, Jonathon and I were in the waiting room, Carly had a poopie diaper. I asked the receptionist where the closest restroom was and she lead me to one in their back office area. It was a very nice, single restroom. I hauled the crew and all of our bags in there and got Carly all changed.

Then I had this crazy thought. It's a long drive home. "I should "go" too while we are in here." No problem I thought. I will be quick. Silly me. As it happened the toilet was several feet from the door but it didn't occur to me that that would be a problem. So, I got busy and was almost finished when my cute little toddler decided to try the door handle. Now, I hadn't forseen that as a problem because it was a heavy wooden door and she had been trying all the door handles in the reception area with little result before we went to the bathroom. They were those pull down handles but they were too heavy for her to pull down. She couldn't make them move so I wasn't worried. Plus, I had locked the bathroom door.

So there I am in the bathroom--a little vulnerable, too far from the door to stop her--got a steady stream flowing and suddenly my cute little toddler jumps up and grabs the door handle and pulls back on it. Yep, it starts to fling open! I was up off that toilet to push that door shut faster than a fox fleeing a hen house. It wasn't pretty but I got the job done. There was a busy hallway outside that door and I didn't feel like being the sideshow! Although, I'm sure they wondered what the rukus was all about!

Yep, this little girly is giving me a run for my money! It's probably good for me. I need the exercise! :)

1 comment:

Jocelyn Miller said...

Nancy,

I love your blog site. The kids are adorable and it makes me so happy to see those two little ones in such a wonderful environment. Loved the potty story -- so typical! You probably have many more adventures like that one ahead of you! Jody Panzenhagen