Monday, May 19, 2008

Texting While Driving

Can someone explain this really dumb new phenomenom to me? I just don't get it. Truly, it's like we are going backwards. We have the ability to talk on the phone and have quick conversations if need be--and all of the sudden we want to return to typing? Not to mention it's the hunt and peck version--and we want to do it while we are driving. See, that involves looking down at your phone--INSTEAD OF AT THE ROAD--for some time . . . regardless of whether you are typing a message or reading one. The first time I saw it happen I was riding with someone and I thought I would die--literally and figuratively. Then, it started to happen all around me. People talked about doing it and I would go nuts on them. I would tell them about articles I'd just read in the newspaper where people had been killed by texting drivers and how experts said it was just as bad as being drunk or sleepy. But, what I said had no effect. No one I talked to stopped. It's like they think they are the invincible ones. And no, not all of these were teenagers--some of them were adults. Two of them were parents who would text each other while driving with young children in their cars. The very idea of it just drives me crazy! No pun intended. I know being on a cell phone can be distracting in the car but at least if you are talking on it for a minute or two you can keep your eyes on the road. Doesn't that make more sense than keeping a tiny typewriter in your lap to send messages back and forth? C'mon people! You could kill someone I love. Worse yet--for you . . . you could kill someone you love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! That's so funny because I just had a conversation with someone today about this topic! It drives me crazy too. Maybe it's because I'm not an expert texter - it takes me forever, but I especially can't stand driving behind a SLOW car only to find it's because they're texting. Let alone, the ones that are drifting into my lane because of it!

Natalie said...

I don't get it either. Sure, I text, but NOT while driving. People who do are stupid!