Monday, February 25, 2008

An Act of Kindness

I went out with the baby for the first time alone today. I had to take her to the doctor and then stop and get formula and a few other things from Wally's World. As I was leaving the superstore a super storm blew in and rain was pelting the ground. I was just ready to take my cart and baby and dash into it when a sweet young boy with a Spanish accent came running up to me with a blanket and said "Miss, Miss -- for your baby!" I said--"Oh, it's O.K.", but he insisted and said, "You can keep it." Then he ran back into the store where he had come from. I can only assume I had passed him and his mother on their way into the store as I was heading out into the pouring rain. She must have sent him to rescue my sweet baby with her own baby's blanket. It happened so fast I'm not even sure I got out a "thank you."

I put the blanket over my baby's carrier and was so grateful for it as I searched the parking lot for my car. I'd forgotten where I parked and I was drenched by the time I found it--but my sweet child was not--thanks to this kind young child and his mother. I thought about this act of kindness all the way home and had no doubt it had come from the heart of a loving mother. I only wish I had looked back beyond the young boy to thank his mother whom I'm sure was watching for him to come back safely.

There is so much kindness in the world if we will just stop and recognize it. There can be so much more if we participate. I am so grateful someone took a moment to see my need today and fill it. I guess the best way I can say thank you now is to pass that kindness on. I challenge you to do the same.

No comments: