Tuesday, May 24, 2011

FROZEN WHAT?

So I went to my Dr. appt. today expecting to get a cortizone shot or info on how to fix a tear in the labrum only to find out that I actually have a frozen shoulder. Apparently, this is one of the more painful shoulder injuries you can get. (Well, I could have TOLD them that!) Seriously though, I was pretty lucky to find a surgeon who has experienced this injury himself.

Turns out it's not as simple as a cortizone shot. Because the shoulder is frozen they have to physically force the movement and breakup of what has frozen in there. Apparently, there are capsules in the shoulder that can freeze and they have to actually break them open in order to allow movement again. (I'm explaining that in the lowest of layman terms, I'm sure.) Luckily, they do it under anesthesia--so as not to torture you. Afterward, there is a lot of physical therapy and up to two years for full recovery of the use of your shoulder. I think most of the use comes back pretty quickly if you are diligent with the PT. Wow! Just more than I was expecting. I will be glad to get it taken care of though. Hoping to do it at the first of June.

Well, that's about all the news for today. More later. N.

No comments: