Friday, February 27, 2009

"IT'S NOT NICE TO BLOOD A LITTLE GIRL"

I took Carly for her one year old check up today and she ended up having to get 5 separate shots. I guess they even mixed some of the vaccines she needed but even with that the number that needed to be given separately came to 5. Luckily, they sent two nurses in and they double teamed her. I had her on my lap and Julie and tried to keep her attention by singing to her and they both stuck her at one in each leg. She didn't cry on the first round and then she let them have it on the second. By the 5th shot which was just in one leg she was really mad. She only cried for about a minute but she was pretty somber for a few minutes after that.

It reminded me a little of a time a few years ago when I went with my friend Lori and her three kids to the doctor. Her oldest and youngest had appointments. The oldest was 5, getting ready for Kindergarten and he needed shots for school and the youngest was somewhere between one and two, I think and she needed shots as well. I remember the soon to be Kindergartner did not like the idea of shots and didn't take very well to them but that was nothing compared to when his sister got her shots. Lori and I had to hold his sister still for her shots. He didn't like that one bit. I think the doctor himself gave the shots and I think he was a little slow at it--but anyway, his sister started crying and we had to hold her tighter. This only made her brother more upset at all of us--Mom, me and the doctor. He screamed as loud as he could at us, "IT'S NOT NICE TO BLOOD A LITTLE GIRL!" Luckily by that time it was over and all we had left to deal with were her tears and his anger. I'm pretty sure we soothed both with ice cream.

Luckily, Carly didn't get quite that mad. But keep that in mind will you! IT'S NOT NICE TO BLOOD A LITTLE GIRL!

No comments: