Wednesday, November 3, 2010

TELEPHONE, TELEGRAPH, TELLCARLY

Grandpa called to talk to Carly yesterday and got a lot more than he bargained for. For some reason she decided that it was the day she was going to start answering the phone. When it rang she ran for it. Luckily I beat her to it. She has never had any interest in answering the phone before and I haven't encouraged it because she hasn't really had the full language skills to do so. She could probably do it now but she gets shy and won't always talk or answer.

Well, yesterday she wasn't shy at all. When I answered Grandpa didn't even say hi to me he asked for Carly. She was so happy she ran and took the phone from my hand. She talked to him for a good 15 minutes off and on. I'm not even sure Grandpa got to ask her any questions. Sometimes she actually had the mouthpiece near her mouth and the earpiece near her ear. (As in most of the time she was just holding the phone somewhere above her waist talking to it.) I tried to rescue Grandpa a few times and got a severe scolding from my little cutie pie each time. She let me know the call was for her, not me! Trouble is--she is sometimes a little hard to understand so I was feeling bad for Grandpa. Plus, she would say things she thought he would understand but really only she knew like , i.e. "Your chair right here Grandpa". She was pointing to his lift chair and letting him know it was right in front of her. But he had no idea what she was talking about or why she said it.

I finally thought to pick up the extension and asked Grandpa if he needed rescuing. He did. He asked if he could talk to Jonathon. I gave my phone to Jonathon since I couldn't get Carly's away from her. Poor Jonathon couldn't get a word in edgewise but he listened intently. Finally Grandpa said he'd better go and Carly was heartbroken. My poor little Chatterbox! I comforted her by telling her we would visit Grandpa later. We did and that made her happy.

Grandpa is still doing really good. He is tired from all the physical and occupational therapy but he is making progress. Things are looking up. :)

No comments: