Thursday, November 6, 2008

A 50th ANNIVERSARY TRIBUTE TO MY PARENTS

Happy 50th Anniversary Mom and Dad

I'm so proud of you. This is a truly momentous occasion and most couples only dream of making it this far. You did it and your children, family and friends are all all excited and happy for you.

As a special tribute I want to tell you a little about my Dad and Mom. They met in high school and got engaged and married the year after graduation. They raised three daughters. They are both people of great character and integrity. I am proud to be their daughter.

My dad taught me to value a person's name. Remember it, say it and spell it correctly. It's one of the most important things a person has. He also taught me compassion. Many times, as a child, we would go to a store and buy groceries or shoes or something of value. I would always believe it was something we were taking home. Sometimes it was, but many times we would stop on the way home and drop our purchase off at the home of someone who needed it more. My Dad taught me to always leave things better than I found them and that if I borrowed something from someone I needed to return it cleaner, better or fuller than when I received it. He taught me a lot of good, honest lessons like these and he gave me a love for people. My Dad is a wonderful man with a giant heart. He's a man I respect deeply and he's a man who when he gives you his word you can count on him. I love you Dad.

My Mom is an amazing woman who is truly the wind beneath my father's wings. It would appear she has spent her life and their life together more in the background--but that's never where she actually was. She has been an equal partner in my father's life and in their marriage. My mom is a very intelligent woman who has given her all to my dad and her girls. My mother taught me never to judge how another person grieves--to understand that we all grieve in our own way. She gave me a love for reading and surrounded me with books. She taught me compassion by making sure when I was upset with another person that I always considered what it was like to walk in their shoes. She showed me by example what it was like to be a good wife and a loving mother. She showed how to be a good sister, daughter and friend. My mother is a kind, beautiful woman who has blessed her family in so many ways and I'm proud to say she is one of my best friends.

I am so grateful to have parents who have loved me so well and loved each other even better. Thank you for not only staying together but for loving each other for fifty years. Happy Anniversary Dad and Mom! I love you, Your Favorite :)

Love Birds . . .


Just Married . . .


Thirty Something . . .


The Golden Years . . .

No comments: