Friday, November 7, 2008

Call Someone You Love and Tell Them

I got an email from one of my friend's husbands last night. It was a little bit unusal for me to get an email from him but I have gotten them from time to time. He started out by telling me of a trip he and his wife had taken recently and went on telling me some of the details of the trip. As the paragraph continued I started to wonder why he was telling me the things he was telling me. It wasn't making sense to me that he would write and just chat up a vacation they took--so my brain was trying to figure it out and started searching through the e-mail for a clue or an explanation. Suddenly my eye landed on it--and my heart fell. I felt tears running down my cheeks and heard myself sobbing. His whole email was an explanation leading up to these few words "my wife had passed away."

I was stunned. I couldn't believe it. She had just brought me some new dresses for Carly a few weeks ago. This was a wonderful, amazing woman Rob and I met and made friends with last year. Then we met her husband and made friends with him. They were a terrific couple. We became good friends. I helped her and she helped me. She had the best heart and was so good to people. I would like to be more like her.

She and her husband had gone out of the country on a trip and her husband had to come back early for work. She continued the trip with one of her sons. As they were out to eat one evening she felt weak and passed out. After a few minutes of trying to help her, she passed away in her son's arms. My friend was only 58 years old and in good health. The only thing she had wrong was diabetes that was under control. They don't know yet why she died. Her husband is on his way to bring her back now.

I'm telling you all of this for only one reason. You don't ever know when you will lose someone you love. This poor family is overwhelmed by her loss as are her friends. If there is someone out there you love and it's been awhile since you've told them, pick up the phone, put down the paper--tell them. Don't wait.

I think we all come here with a certain amount of days--but we don't know how many we have. Only the Lord knows that. So let's not waste one moment of them to thoughtlessness, anger, or forgetfulness. Let's not have any regrets. Tell your loved ones you love them before it's too late!

No comments: