Sunday, August 23, 2009

ONLY ONE NAP A DAY BRINGS THE CRANKIES OUR WAY!

You would think we would learn. We are the adults and we have the capacity to learn. I mean, these are things we already know--if we would just learn to follow what we know we could be happy, right? I guess that is pretty much true for all of life. It's true for your weight--follow a good eating plan, your health--don't drink, don't smoke, don't text while you drive, don't smack yourself in the head with a hammer. I mean, these are just basic things we know will keep us feeling good, right?

At our house we know if we want a happy little girl she needs to take two naps a day. Now the dumb thing is that she doesn't even fight us on it. She gets tired and cranky and we put her down for a nap--once in the morning and once in the afternoon. She usually sleeps for a couple of hours each time. If she doesn't get the second nap she can be a little terror all evening long.

We just put her down for the night after one of those long, terror filled evenings and none of us could figure out why she was being so cranky about everything. That is until Rob asked me if she got both naps today. "Hmmm. No, I said. She didn't."

Truth be told, she took a long first nap and I guess none of us clicked on it when she started getting cranky. We just kept trying to give her food or attention or toys and forgot that what she really wanted and needed was some shuteye!

I started to say I can't wait til she can talk so she can tell me what she wants but then I realized how dumb that was--No child is ever going to come up and ask you to give them a nap! However, I am going to try to tattoo that thought in my brain so we have a few less cranky evenings around here! Maybe if I just promise myself that every time she gets her afternoon nap I get one too! Now that will probably work!

No comments: