Monday, August 24, 2009

BUBBLE, BUBBLE POP!

My baby loves bubbles. Even before she really knew what bubbles were she loved the word bubbles. We sing her a song about bubbles and have since she was tiny and it was one of the first clear words she said. Rob and I used to sub in the Nursery pretty often at church and that's one of the activities they would always do with the little ones--blow bubbles and let them catch them. Carly was too small to really do much but she was fascinated with them. This morning she brought me her bottle of bubbles and really wanted to play with them. She does that fairly often and I always tell her I will take her outside sometime to play with them. Of course, sometime, has not come yet--so she keeps pushing. So, I took her in my bathroom and snuggled her up in my lap and sat on the floor and we started blowing bubbles. She was so excited!

Oh my goodness, I wish I had stopped my world to do this sooner and more often. She had such delight on her face. It was such a simple thing and it made her so happy. The best part, though was that she would always watch the bigger kids in nursery catch some of the bubbles on the blower handles or lightly on their hands. It never occurred to me what she was thinking but this morning I had the blower and was blowing the bubbles so she kept trying to catch them with her hands. Well, that wasn't working at all. She was too rough trying to catch them. When that didn't work she tried to catch them with her mouth. That didn't work either. She got this really confused look on her face and I realized that all along she thought I would blow the bubbles and she would catch them. She didn't realize that the bubbles would pop without her catching them and it really bothered her. She didn't understand.

Once we got past her disappointment at not catching the bubbles she soon went back to delight and wonder. I loved being a part of those moments with her and witnessing the joy and the learning on her face. In those moments I say a silent prayer and thank my Father in Heaven for this amazing and wonderful daughter he has given me the privilege of being a mother to. I am so blessed.

No comments: