Sunday, August 10, 2008

Beijing Murder Hits Too Close To Home

I'm kind of a news junkie and there was so much upsetting news this weekend--but one story was just too close to home. The Beijing murder and stabbing of two Americans who ended up being relatives of the American Men's Volleyball Coach was just horrible. But when I heard the name of the coach today I realized there was an even closer connection than I'd known. The coach is a former BYU student and coach and it was his Father-in-law that was killed last weekand his mother-in-law that was stabbed. She was injured and is still in the hospital and is improving.

The way it is close to home for me is that a few years ago after the last summer Olympics, BYU asked all the BYU Olympians to be the Homecoming Grand Marshals and he was one of the Olympians who came back for the events. I was the one in charge of all the hosting. It makes me so sad that people have to suffer such horrendous things in this life and for no understandable cause whatsoever. My heart and my prayers go out to all of the families mourning and in need of comfort, especially our former Olympian and his family.

No comments: