Thursday, September 22, 2016

WHAT A STORM!

Wow, what a storm we had today! I didn't even know it was coming until about 20 minutes before it hit. Thankfully, I was able to pick the kids up from school and get them home first. We had 70 mph winds, rain, lightening--snow and even a tornado. All this happened either right around us or within 15 minutes of our home. Thankfully, the tornado and snow were about 15 minutes away--though there were moments when I wasn't sure the tornado was that far away. And neither was Carly. Jono was actually pretty calm but Carly hates storms. Really bad. So, I spent a good deal of time calming her down. I had to take Jono to gymnastics and she did not want me to leave the house. I finally talked her into coming with us. She was still not a happy camper but I think it was better for her to be with us than to let her imagination run wild while I was away.

When we left the house, branches were down everywhere from the wind. Traffic lights were out all over, there were accidents on the freeway and when I started listening to the radio for weather and traffic, I heard 34,000 homes had lost power. It was stunning how fast and hard the storm had hit. It took us 30 minutes to go ten miles both coming and going. It was really nuts. I forget how powerful wind can be until a windstorm hits. It's OK with me if we don't have another one for a very long time--or never. :)

No comments: