Friday, January 2, 2009

Didn't Sleep Much Last Night

My mind was a whir with a myriad of thoughts. I kept waking up and writing them on a list so I could just let them go and take care of them in the morning. I thought that would help me go back to sleep. It usually does if I can just get things off my brainload. Not so, last night. I just kept finding more things to think about, worry about, be grateful for. Here's a random one:

Rob and I just got new glasses. We picked them up this week so I guess that's why this was on my mind. I always have to pay extra to have my coke-bottle thick lenses thinned to a nice magnifying-glass thin look--you know so they are completely inconspicuous. I don't want people to see my eyeballs coming before they see me coming . . . that would just be wrong.

Anyway, I digress. I started thinking last night about the mere fact that in my lifetime they have been able to design a way to change the heavy thick embarrassing lens and frame I used to wear that while it miraculously enabled me to see told everyone I was nearly blind and very unattractive.

Of course, my thinking and gratitude mined deeper than that. I realize that I am either legally blind or very close to it without glasses. I certainly couldn't drive or even see very far in front of me clearly. I started thinking back to those who first found ways to help us see in the first place. I know those miracles were given to us by a loving Father in Heaven. I just started realizing them in terms of my own life and the time I got here on earth. Those miracles were already in place and I am so blessed for that. I could have lived in a time when I really suffered for my lack of sight . . . when there were no spectacles, no magnifying glasses -- no aids at all to assist those with trouble seeing. The term "left in the dark" came from somewhere. I'm so glad to be in the seeing world--and especially at a time when there are such things as contact lenses so I can be seen as equal to those who are sighted without even a hint of my handicap.

I find myself grateful for those who studied and worked to accomplish miracles in all kinds of technologies and commodities from electricity to toilet paper. I mean, think about it--where would we be without some of the simple necessities we have. Somewhat random thoughts, I know. I am grateful nonetheless.

1 comment:

Cheraee said...

I feel the same way. I just had my lasik surgery results checked after 10 years, and my eyes have held. Unfortunately, I have the beginnings of diabetic retinopathy. My relationship with simply carbs has come to an abrupt end. But there are miracles here, too. Although I may end up on insulin in three months (unless I can get my AC1 rating lower), I could have lived in an era when insulin and other medications were non-existent. Please give Carly my best. I hope she feels better today. Love ya!