Wednesday, July 16, 2008

BEE CAREFUL

Today I was determined we were going to get our side yard cleaned up. We waited until after 5 so it was a little cooler and then Julie and I donned our work gloves and began cleaning up weeds and putting away tools and things. There was a box of sticks we asked the girls to cut into smaller pieces and get into the garbage can about a year ago (yep, you read that right) and it was still sitting out on the back side walk. So, that was one of my main goals today was to get that large box of sticks put into the garbage.

I rolled our large garbage can over to it and started reaching my gloved hands into it and emptying loads of sticks into the garbage can from the box. Julie followed my lead--for a while. Then she slowed down and then she stopped. I urged her on but she didn't move. I kept going and going--that is until we started getting attacked by bees. Not a ton of bees--just 3 or 4. But they were very serious and I think they were calling there friends to come help. We tried to fight them off at first when there was just 1 or 2 but then there was 3 and 4. That is when I screamed, "Run, Julie, Run." We barely made it into the house. Seriously, the bees were dive bombing us. I haven't even told you yet about the baby snakeskin I saw in the bottom of the box or the reason Julie stopped picking sticks up. Turns out she had heard a hissing sound and thought there was a snake in the box. Then she actually thought she saw some baby snake eggs.

What's a mom to do? I fixed dinner and we ate. Then we put long sleeves and pants on and went back out armed with BEE and WASP KILLER SPRAY and finished the job! We threw away the snake eggs--if that's what they were. They were some kind of animal eggs. They will now be hatching at the landfill. Yay. This will teach us to leave a box of sticks laying around for a year. We're lucky we didn't have beavers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a woman! Only you would be brave enough to go back out and finish the job. (I'm not telling Brent what you did - he might expect me to start helping with the yard work too. Yikes!) You go girl.