Monday, September 1, 2008

A NEW RECIPE TO TRY!

I hadn't intended to put a recipe up tonight but my adorable little girl won't go to sleep! So, I don't have much time or many hands. This will have to be quick. I found this recipe online the other day and made it and it was really good. Of course, I took a few liberties with it and only used what I had in the house. I substituted dried chopped onions for the green onions and milk for the half and half and then thickened it with flour and water--and I did boil it just a bit. It was yummy!

It's after 12:30 a.m. so I'd better get back to my chattering baby. Don't know why she's not sleepy. She didn't even have a really long nap today but she sure wants to talk tonight! Hope you enjoy the soup!


CHICKEN AND WILD RICE SOUP RECIPE

3 (10 3/4 oz.) cans condensed chicken broth
2 c. water
1/4 c. uncooked wild rice
1/4 c. long grain rice
1/2 c. finely chopped green onions
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 c. half & half
1/2 c. cubed cooked chicken or turkey
8 slices bacon (crisply cooked & crumbled)

In a large saucepan combine chicken broth and water. Add wild rice and onions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add long grain rice and simmer 20 minutes more or until tender. In a medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in half & half. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Slowly add half & half mixture into rice mixture, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients, stirring frequently. Do Not Boil.

No comments: